If you’re concerned with healthy weight loss or weight management, you’re always looking for a low calorie, low sodium alternative for flavoring your food. You have to try balsamic vinegar! This gem can be found at any local supermarket and it tastes great as an alternative to dressing on salads. Balsamic vinegar is fabulous for cooking quick yet flavorful meals like this healthy chicken recipe.
Balsamic vinegar, an Italian favorite, is made from fermented grapes and contains the same polyphenols and anti-aging properties as green tea and red wine. Balsamic vinegar's polyphenols “act as antioxidants. They protect cells and body chemicals against damage caused by free radicals” which are known to damage tissue structure and speed up the look of aging to our skin. Balsamic vinegar also aids in the digestive process by releasing pepsin which helps to break down protein in our digestive systems. Clearly, there are many benefits coming from fermented grapes!
If you’re not sure how to cook with balsamic vinegar, don’t worry, here is a simple protein-packed recipe that you will love.
Balsamic Chicken Recipe
- 8 oz of chicken breast
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- ½ cup of balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups green beans
- Non stick spray
- Heat your skillet. Spray with a light coat of non stick spray.
- Dice up your green beans and place into skillet with minced garlic and extra virgin olive oil on medium heat for 5 min.
- Dice up your chicken, mushrooms, and onions. Place them into skillet with the green beans
- Bring heat up to high and add lemon juice.
- When chicken is almost thoroughly cooked and green beans become tender add the balsamic vinegar to skillet.
- When thoroughly cooked, allow to sit for 10 min and then serve.
This recipe serves 2 and is packed with protein and is low in fat and carbohydrates. Balsamic chicken is great as a healthy, light meal for dinner. Enjoy!