If you are looking for a gluten free desert, it can be tough to find one that tastes decent. You usually have to go to specialty stores or find a “version” of your favorite sweet treat
that ends up tasting more like cardboard. Rather than give up on some of your favorite snacks, try creating them in your own kitchen! This way you can ensure that they are made the way that you like them. Below you will find a flour less and gluten free Chickpea Chia Cookie recipe that is simple to make and will be nice and soft compared to any store bought versions you may have had in the past.
1 Can Chickpeas (or White Northern Beans)
3-1/2 Tablespoons Raw Honey
3 Tablespoons Sunflower Seed Butter
3 Tablespoons Chia Seeds
1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
3/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1. Rinse beans and if using chickpeas, try to remove most of the translucent skins by picking or gently rubbing them off.
2. Food-process the beans until they are smooth and no lumps remain.
3. Add in the remaining ingredients, mixing by hand until combined.
4. Place rounded tablespoon-sized dollops of batter onto a lined or greased cookie sheet.
5. Bake at 350F degrees for 8-9 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden. Let them cool slightly to firm more before serving.
Servings: 2 dozen (24 Cookies)
Calories: 51.5 per cookie
Type of Recipe: gluten-free
Recipe submitted by Maiah Miller. Maiah is from Eugene, Oregon (known as “Tracktown” to many runners), and grew up with health and fitness as a large part of her lifestyle. She is a certified Yoga instructor and Pilates instructor, so she has learned how to make great tasting food that fuels her workouts and active lifestyle. Maiah has many food sensitivities and allergies as well, which has prompted her to become extremely creative in the kitchen, hence the development of many healthy "desserts" such as the protein-packed flourless Chickpea Chia Cookies that was provided above.
for more great tasting recipes!