Buying fast or pre-packaged food puts a dent in your wallet and adds a notch to your belt. By making healthy and nutritious meals at home, you will save money and calories. This gluten free tropical quinoa salad recipe option below can be made in bulk and last for a few days, so it may also save you time!
Over the years, quinoa has built up a great reputation as a good source of carbohydrates and protein. Quinoa is light yet filling, and serves as a perfect base for salads and side items since it naturally has a neutral taste. Try the flavorful quinoa salad recipe listed below for a refreshing tropical taste. Pack this as a meal for lunch or a side dish for dinner. This recipe can also be served hot or cold.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- While quinoa is cooking, sauté the shredded coconut in a small pan or in a 425 degree oven until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Once quinoa has been cooked and cooled, combine quinoa, mango, avocado, red onion, toasted coconut, lime juice and coconut oil.
- Mix lightly to combine.
- Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- You can serve this dish at room temperature, or cover and chill until ready to use.
- For additional protein- add in chicken, steak, shrimp or fish.
- Serving suggestion: Keeping with the tropical theme, this pairs perfectly with a calorie burning Celsius Peach Mango Green Tea.
Recipe submitted by: Laura D. Laura is a stay-at-home mom and food blogger living on Maryland’s beautiful Eastern Shore. She loves to cook healthy, nutritious recipes from scratch for her family as often as she can!
Click here for more great tasting recipes!