Don't abdicate responsibility and use holiday parties as an excuse to indulge in unhealthy food you would not choose for yourself. If you have been working on your fitness and healthy eating goals all year why would you let the holiday season throw you off track?
When you are invited to a holiday get-together with family or friends no one likes to show up empty-handed. The busy host will always welcome food contributed by guests. Take advantage of this opportunity to be a good guest and to be proactive about your own food choices at the event. Instead of bringing over a store-bought dessert make your own healthy dish that will be a healthy alternative you know you can have guilt-free! You will enjoy the celebration without worrying if the ingredients used in someone else's soggy green bean casserole are worth the bulge. Do yourself a favor by bringing something that everyone will find tasty. You will enjoy the time with loved ones without thinking of the time you will need to spend on the elliptical to burn it off!
I enjoy bringing fruit salads made with fresh berries and garden vegetable salads to holiday gatherings. Fall is such a wonderful time for seasonal fruits and harvest vegetables! This Winter Fruit Salad with Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing from AllRecipes.com will go great with other dishes served at any get-together this time of year. For an even healthier alternative try it with this Low Fat Yogurt Salad Dressing Recipe below. I am always looking for new recipes to share when I get together with friends. If you have a favorite healthy take-along dish please share it!
Stay Healthy & Fit
WINTER FRUIT SALAD WITH LEMON POPPY SEED DRESSING
Recipe by AllRecipes.com
Prep Time: 25 min Total Time: 25 min
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 head romaine lettuce torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 apple – peeled cored and diced
- 1 pear – peeled cored and sliced
Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons diced onion
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- In a blender or food processor combine sugar lemon juice onion mustard and salt. Process until well blended. With machine still running add oil in a slow steady stream until mixture is thick and smooth. Add poppy seeds and process just a few seconds more to mix.
In a large serving bowl toss together the romaine lettuce shredded Swiss cheese cashews dried cranberries apple and pear. Pour dressing over salad just before serving and toss to coat.
Alternative: Switch the cashews for almonds and try this yogurt-based dressing….
LOW FAT YOGURT SALAD DRESSING RECIPE
- 8 oz plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tsps lemon juice
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- 1 tsp fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 tsp chopped fresh chives
- In a small bowl beat together yogurt and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in mustard parsley and chives. Refrigerate until ready to serve.